Join Our Journey to Johannesburg
Midleton RFC is raising funds for floodlights that will hugely help the rugby experience for our underage and youth players and coaches. For us, like any club, these players form the future of our senior teams, our provincial and national teams and perhaps even the British & Irish Lions. Our ability to enable them to run around, train and play after school in the winter is key to their overall rugby experience.
Our aim is to raise €6,000 through our dedicated Go Fund Me page:
To help us achieve our goal we are going to do something that no other club has ever done before. Starting on 03rd July 2021, the day of the first match in South Africa, we are going to support our Lion Cubs and the British & Irish Lions, by walking 14,000km. This is the equivalent of walking from Midleton to Johannesburg, finishing on August 07th 2021, for the final Test in Johannesburg.
Along our virtual journey, we will be ‘stopping’ at local towns, villages and rugby clubs, learning about the local history, cultures, native animals and rugby history of the areas.
You will be able to track our progress on our Social Media Platforms on Facebook (@midletonrfc), Instagram (Midleton_Rfc) and Twitter (@Midleton_RFC), along with our Club Website www.midletonrugby.com.
Departing from Midleton RFC on 03rd July 2021, our virtual walk will take us across the Irish Sea to the UK before travelling through France, Spain and Gibraltar to reach the northernmost tip of Africa.
On entering Africa, we will travel through countries such as Morocco, Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Gabon, the Dominican Republic of the Congo, Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe. From there, we will then enter South Africa, completing the final 550km of the journey by travelling through the Kruger National Park, Pretoria (one of South Africa’s 3 Capital Cities!!) before ‘arriving’ in South Africa’s largest city, Johannesburg. The final Test Match is scheduled to be played here on Saturday 07th August 2021.
During this time, we will also be running fun activities such as colouring competitions, quizzes and selfie/photo competitions of people while clocking up their kilometres and using the hashtag #journeytojohannesburg.
We will complete our journey on Saturday 07th August by completing the final few kilometres at Midleton Rugby Club, Towns Park, where we will celebrate our achievement by cheering on the Lions in the final Test Match versus South Africa!!!
Make Your Miles Go Further!
The beauty of this journey is that absolutely anyone, regardless of age or location, can join us. Together, we’ll cover the distance by using technology that tracks our everyday activity. It doesn’t matter if it’s mowing the lawn, walking your usual circuit or playing in the garden, every step will help make a difference.
We will continue to provide updates on our progress, along our route by updating our position on the map.
How to Participate?
If you would like to get involved, be a Team Captain or a Team Member,
JOIN OUR JOURNEY TODAY
You can email your interest to email@example.com or send a private message to our Facebook or Instagram pages.
- People come together as a group (max 10) and nominate a Team Captain. Register with a committee member your group name and team members.
- You will then be given instructions on how to participate using your phone, smart watch or Fitbit.
- If you would like to join our journey but aren’t part of an organised team, just contact a member of the Fundraising Group and we will find some teammates for you.
- Team Captains and Team Members can go to the Club Go Fund Me page to donate to the floodlights appeal:
- All participants encourage family members and friends to join their teams or to sponsor them on the Go Fund Me page, naming the team they are sponsoring and offering messages of encouragement!
- The walk will start on July 03rd and all team members will send in the Kilometres completed to their Team Captain weekly. The overall distance covered will be tracked each week.
- Team Members and Captains go to Midleton RFC Facebook and Instagram sites to post updates on your team’s journey using photos etc. and the hashtag #journeytojohannesburg
As this Fundraiser is all about involvement and enjoyment, other fun things being considered are; a photo competition; under-age art competition; quiz around educational elements of the journey, etc. We also hope to post information on the area that we are travelling through at certain times and have some educational slides for families of the Rugby Clubs, culture, flora and fauna of the region.