Apr 102018

The final home game of the season saw our senior’s win out in a tough hard-fought match against a well drilled Omagh side.  Going into the game Omagh were sitting in 3rd place looking at a promotion play off, a win in Towns Park would have brought them that bit closer.  We were in 5th, 8 points behind that play off place, looking for as many points as we could, hopping for other results to go our way this week and next.  After this round 17 win we are in a stronger position going into next week, needing a win away to Seapoint and either Malahide or Omagh to lose without getting a bonus point next week.

The game started at a lightning pace, both sides looking to get the upper hand early on.  Big hits were coming in from all angles as the hard carries looked to break the defensive lines. Neither side managed to get the upper hand for most of the first half, with the opening score coming after 35 minutes.

In the lead up to the try Midleton looked the more threatening of the two teams with the backs making huge ground out wide, however the errors were mounting as the ball was continuously lost in contact just a few phases from the try line.  Louie Farnham again showing his deadly pace he terrorized the outside defenders, as did Rian Hogan using his size and pace to get through the gaps.

The defensive effort from the home side was massive especially from openside flanker Aidan Ware who lead the tackle count with some huge hits, showing incredible strength and determination refusing to take a backward step all day.

Following a period of sustained pressure from Midleton were awarded a penalty in front of Omagh’s posts, Rob Smyth got his hands on the ball and took a quick penalty. He offloaded from the tackle to Stuart Lee who fed Jon with the ball.  Jon crashed over from 5 out carrying three defenders with him.  Lee added the conversion making it 7-0 for the half.

The second half went much the same as the first with both teams battling it out for the upper hand.  The hits and the carries were mounting up and the pressure was telling on both sides as a number of players had to go off injured.  The substitutes made the difference for the home side as Rob Smyth manoeuvred his time into a kicking position.  Lee added two penalties to his tally bringing the Midleton total to 13 points for the day.

Omagh were not finished however, as they battled hard, finding the space out wide to go over from a long-distance effort.  The extras were added making it 13-7.

With only 13 minutes to go Denis Broderick found himself sitting on the side line for ten minutes for repeated infringements giving Omagh the chance to turn on the big guns and constantly attack the Midleton defence.  However, their own inaccuracies killed their momentum as they missed two lineouts in a row, giving Midleton an easy out.

The game finished at 13-7, a fantastic win for the home side in a tough and abrasive match making it three in a row.  The turnaround since the low point after Christmas has been incredible, 25 points from 6 games.  Our final game is on Saturday, 14th of April, away to Seapoint.  Thank you to everyone who has supported the team in Towns Park and around the country this year.  Lastly, we would like to thank everyone who helped out last weekend for the youth’s festival which took place in Towns Park.  It was an incredibly busy day with teams coming from all over, including from Doha in Qatar.  All the volunteers who pitched in, from organising the car park to the burgers and picking up glasses, thank you for it would not have been possible without you.