Location: Townspark, Midleton, Co.Cork
Products: You will need a pair of tag rugby shorts which are available in most sports shops and are also available for sale at the club from the registration desk.
Tag Rugby – THE BASICS
• Tag Rugby is a non-contact form of rugby where a “tackle” involves removing a “tag”
which is attached to the shorts of the ball carrier. Each side has six “tags” to score a
• After each “tag”, the tagged player stops, places the ball on the ground and rolls it
backwards with the foot to a team-mate standing behind. This is called a ruck ball. The
team-mate standing behind is called a scrum-half.
• A try is scored in the same way as in other forms of rugby i.e. by touching down the
ball on the ground over the tryline while retaining control of the ball.
• If no try is scored after the sixth “tag”, the opposition shall gain possession of the ball
and they shall restart play with a ruck ball.
• A match shall consist of 2 halves of 20 minutes and such injury time as may be played
at discretion of the referee.
• At the start of the game the referee tosses a coin and the winner of the toss decides
whether to kick of or to choose an end.
• The field of play will be a maximum of 70 metres long by 50 metres wide.
• The law of advantage takes precedence over most other laws and its purpose is to make
play more continuous with fewer stoppages for infringements. When the result of an
infringement by one team is that there opponents may gain an advantage, the referee
does not whistle immediately for the infringement but allows play to continue wit the option to return tothe original offence.